8 Simple Steps to Staying Healthy
Every time one of my kids or I get sick, I re-evaluate our lifestyle to determine if our immune systems are at their best. Like everyone else, I don’t have time to get sick. Here are 8 key strategies for keeping your immune system working properly:
- Get enough sleep. The average recommendation is 7-9 hours of sleep per night.
- Take a multivitamin as “insurance” if you eat very few fruits and vegetables. Don’t waste your money on super- or mega-vitamins. The extra vitamins and minerals don’t provide extra benefits. A simple, multi-vitamin and mineral supplement is all you need. Make sure it is certified by an independent lab or you might be wasting your money.
- Wash your hands often, especially before eating and preparing food.
- Eat yogurt with live and active cultures daily. The probiotics in yogurt feed your immune system.
- Eat at least 5 servings of fruits and vegetables per day. Make sure to get a variety of colors to ensure you are eating a wide range of immune-boosting nutrients.
- Reduce stress by taking on less projects and tasks, deep breathing, meditation, or prayer.
- Exercise daily.
- Maintain a healthy weight.
By following these steps as best as you can, you’ll be well on your way to keeping your immune system performing at its best.
Contributed by: Kelli Worley MS, RD, LD